Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
An old fashioned apple crisp recipe just like you remember Grandma making; in this case, though, it was my Grandma's sister Lucille and this is one way that she still carries on. I've never found a better recipe, and it's so delicious! Perfect served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 3 lbs sliced apples, peeled (either use a few different types or go with Granny Smith)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 -4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- Peel and slice enough apples to fill a 9x13 baking pan about 2/3 full.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, flour, nutmeg,salt and water.
- Mix well to coat apples.
- For the topping, mix the quick oats, flour, brown sugar, water and cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Cut the margarine in with a pastry blender or with clean hands until crumbly.
- Top apples with topping mixure.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the apples are tender, the sauce is bubbly, and the topping is slightly golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
This came out a little dry. I don't know what happened as I followed the directions exactly. I will attempt to make this again as I still have a ton of apples left.