Recipe by Dee514
One of my favorite comfort foods when I was growing up, was my Aunt's baked rice pudding! Here is her recipe. Cook time does not include the 30 minutes for cooking the rice, or the standing time.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4-1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups whole milk (or 2 cups whole milk and 2 cups evaporated milk)
- 2 cups cooked and drained white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 -4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (10x powdered sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon, mix until well blended, and set aside.
- In a large (2 quart) bowl, beat egg yolks until light colored.
- Add sugar and spice mixture and beat well.
- Add milk and beat well.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.
- Stir in melted butter and raisins.
- Pour mixture in to a buttered 3-quart ovenproof casserole dish or baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until rounded peaks form.
- Beat Confectioner's sugar into egg whites until whites are glossy and stiff.
- Fold beaten egg whites in to rice mixture.
- Bake at 325°F for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand until warm (20-45 minutes).
- Stir pudding until smooth and well mixed.
- Chill (or serve warm).