Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a great alternative to your frosted cakes. It is wonderful and pretty easy to make!
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup oats (regular plain oats)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl add 1/4 pound of butter softened, and 1 cup of regular oats (not the quick cooking kind), add 1 1/4 cups of boiling water and mix together and let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oats are cooking take a large mixing bowl add 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 1/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs (mixing after you add each). Beat well.
- When the oats are done cooking, add them to the bowl with the other ingrediants, beat them together well with a mixer.
- Grease a 13X9 pan and pour mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, you should be able to insert a toothpick into the center and it come out clean.
- When the cake is almost done cooking, place a pot on the stove. Add 6 tablespoons of butter and heat on medium heat, once melted add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1 cup of chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir constantly as it burns.
- When the cake is done cooking and is still hot pour coconut/walnut mixture over the top. Spread over cake evenly.
- Place cake in the oven and put it on broil. Broil the top of the cake until the coconut/walnut mixture is bubbly and lightly browned. Watch because it burns easily.
This is great tasting cake and very easy to make too. When I was growing up my mom made oatmeal cake quite often and it was always one of my favorites. But for some reason or other I never asked her for the recipe. Made this for her birthday celebration and she thought it was great. Like the other reviewer I did find there wasn't enough frosting and would definitely double it next time and there will be a next time! Thanks for posting this!
Super tasy cake! Very easy and smelled wonderful baking. The kids were going nuts over "oatmeal" cake! LOL They were making faces before I made it. I did find that the icing hardly covered the cake, so I will probably double it next time, but definately a keeper! Thanks for posting! ....Gina :)