Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the most amazing eggnog you will ever try. My husband would never drink eggnog, he tried this and could not get enough of the stuff. I made the non-alcoholic version since I was planning to let the kids have some too. I got this recipe from Southern Living in an article by Jan Moon. It is so good, you must try it!!!!
- 1 quart milk
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup Bourbon or 1 1⁄2 cups rum or 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 quart whipping cream
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat (Do not boil).
- Beat eggs and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 25 to 30 minutes or until milk mixture thickens and reaches 160 degrees.
- Stir in bourbon (or milk), vanilla, and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- (I strain mine at this point to avoid having any curdled clumps of egg -- if you think you don't have any then don't worry about it).
- Cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp nutmeg before serving.