Recipe by gingerkitten D
This is the most amazing eggnog you will ever try. My husband would never drink eggnog, he tried this and could not get enough of the stuff. I made the non-alcoholic version since I was planning to let the kids have some too. I got this recipe from Southern Living in an article by Jan Moon. It is so good, you must try it!!!!
- 1 quart milk
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup Bourbon or 1 1⁄2 cups rum or 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 quart whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat (Do not boil).
- Beat eggs and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 25 to 30 minutes or until milk mixture thickens and reaches 160 degrees.
- Stir in bourbon (or milk), vanilla, and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- (I strain mine at this point to avoid having any curdled clumps of egg -- if you think you don't have any then don't worry about it).
- Cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp nutmeg before serving.