Recipe by Web Hamster
This easy classic recipe came from from Germany via our great-great Aunt Kathi - she'd say "I never knew I was so great!" - use with any kind of apples for a fast-disappearing casual or easy dessert/snack.
- 3 medium apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- nutmeg (optional)
- allspice (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel apples and cut into small chunks.
- Pour sugar over them and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine.
- Add to apple mixture with egg.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Add optional ingredients.
- Bake in greased and floured 8" square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, alone or topped with whipped cream.