Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is for all those out there that eat pumpkin pie only because its Thanksgiving, not really because they love it. This recipe will make you want canned pumpkin stocked in your pantry year round! YUMMY! And the kids love it!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelopeof knox gelatin
- 3 separated egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Mix first 3 ingredients and spread into 9x13 inch casserole dish then bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix next 3 ingredients well and spread over cooled crust.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Mix next 5 ingredients well and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve gelatin in 1/4 cup of water and add to boiling mixture.
- Turn heat down to warm.
- Beat the three egg whites, gradually adding 1/4 cup of sugar until stiff.
- Fold egg white mixture into slightly cooled pumpkin mixture and spread over the other 2 layers of the dessert.
- Top with a generous layer of Cool Whip to finish off this yummy dessert.
I've made this recipe several times....most people go back for seconds. I always make it to take to Thanksgiving get togethers as my mom's pies are, well, just not very nice.It is sooooo delicious and easy especially if you have "pastry issues" as the shortbread like crust is superb. I use pecans in my base though rather than walnuts and grind them till they look like grains barley size wise. Try this and you will not be disappointed