Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my husband's aunt. I love that I typically have all the ingredients on hand already. I typically make it as is, but have substitued ground turkey for the beef, low fat cottage cheese for regular, added mushrooms and onions to the meat sauce and I've never been disappointed. Everytime I've made it we've gotten rave reviews.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 lb diced tomato (undrained)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- Meat Sauce:.
- Brown and drain meat.
- Add all other meat sauce ingredients to pan with meat and simmer, uncovered until thick - about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cook noodles. Drain and rinse.
- Cheese mixture:.
- Mix together all cheese mixture ingredients in large bowl.
- Note: If using 9x13 pan, makes 2 layers. If using 8x8 pan, makes 3 layers with left over ingredients. We like a thicker lasagna so I go for the smaller pan and then use left over noodles to make little "lasagna rolls.".
- Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of pan to help with sticking.
- Make first layer of noodles. Spread 1/2 (or 1/3) of cheese mixture over noodles. Top with just shy of 1/2 (or 1/3) of meat sauce spread over cheese. Then just shy of 1/2 (or 1/3) of mozzerella over meat.
- Repeat layers until you run out of cheese mixture or you reach the top of the pan.
- Layer one final layer of noodles, light layer of sauce and remaining mozzerella cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Can be frozen before or after baking.