Recipe by Bev
This pound cake is a must try if you love the taste of a dense, moist and rich dessert cake. Served with fruit and whipped cream, with a sauce or plain, this pound cake will fill your needs. I found this recipe on All Recipes and thought I should share it here.
Top Review by carolinafan
I chose this recipe for Pick a Chef '06 and I am glad I did. One of the reasons I chose it is because of the abundance of strawberries at this time of year in North Carolina. My baking time was 1 hour and 20 minutes and it came out beautifully. It is the perfect cake to serve with sweet delicious strawberries and whipped cream. Thanks so much, Bev for posting and this is one I will be preparing often.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups cake flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Cream shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer
- (This will take a while).
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in almond extract.
- In another bowl, combine baking powder and flour.
- Stir into creamed mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with flour. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.