Recipe by Halcyon Eve
My DH's aunt made these for us one night while we were visiting them--they are so good and easy! She made up a whole bunch and used the leftovers for quick lunches/suppers later in the week. They are quite filling, especially with the addition of rice. In fact, the bean mixture could be simply served over rice for a Cal-Mex beans & rice meal. Prep/cooking times are estimated. Using reduced fat sour cream and cheese, whole grain white flour tortillas, and no meat, a serving of 1 burrito has 6 points (WW).
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of, fresh
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (heat or fry as desired)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese or 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (or more to taste) or 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (or more to taste)
- cooked brown rice
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cooked chicken breast
- shredded cooked beef
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the beans, salsa, lime juice, and cilantro. Cook, stirring until heated through.
- Meanwhile, fry or heat the tortillas as desired.
- Place the tortillas on individual plates and spoon bean mixture on each. Add cheese and desired toppings.