Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
I found this from the Aunt Jemima Cornmeal website and I've used it several times. It's quite tasty, especially if you're not in the mood for sweet cornbread. :D Bacon drippings definitely MAKE this cornbread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 2 tablespoons drippings
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Place shortening in 9-inch skillet with ovenproof handle or 8-inch square baking pan.
- Place in oven about 3 minutes. Skillet will be very hot when shortening is melted.
- While skillet is heating, in large bowl combine corn meal, flour, salt and baking soda; add buttermilk and egg, mixing well.
- Pour batter into hot prepared skillet.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until surface cracks and edges are light golden brown and pull away from side of pan. Serve hot with butter.