Recipe by SilentCricket
At family gatherings, it wasn't complete without my aunt's macaroni salad made with this delicious dressing. It provides a yummy alternative to the mayo or vinegar based dressings. I've also used this on potato salad and was asked to make the potato salad version for a friend's wedding reception! (Cook time is an estimate)
Top Review by Susie D
This was a nice surprise. It is very tangy when first made, but does mellow upon standing. I reduced the recipe by half and used it on a macaroni salad. I used half a box of macaroni and had more than enough dressing to coat things nicely. I used dry powdered mustard and the dressing was a pretty pale yellow. I will use this recipe again.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, scant
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Over medium heat, cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add butter, stirring until melted and blended.
- Stir in Miracle Whip.
- Use this dressing on your favorite macaroni or potato salad.
- Chill salad until ready to serve.
- (I make my macaroni salad with shell or elbow macaroni, a small amount of onion, grated carrot, chopped celery, and sometimes, like my aunt, I add sliced green olives.).