Recipe by Lynnaper
This cake is easiest when cooked in a disposable 9x13 pan with a lid. Very simple cake to make. Mix right in the pan for less mess. Very moist and tastes great! My mother-in-law found this recipe and made it for a family get together. Her aunt Irene asked her for the recipe and ever since has claimed it as her recipe and refuses to give it out to anyone. We enjoy the story as much as we do the cake! So, here is aunt Irene's TOP SECRET Coconut Cake recipe! I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do.
Top Review by Susie D
This was easy enough to make. It was very moist and stayed moist for several days. Knowing that the cake wouldn't be consumed quickly, I stirred the coconut into the cool whip & kept it in the fridge to spoon onto individual servings. I ended up freezing half of the cake & topping for later. Made for The Family Tree Challenge.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (any brand)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons coconut flavoring
- 1 (14 ounce) bag shredded coconut
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13 cake pan with the oil.
- Add cake mix, eggs and water to pan. Mix with a fork until there are no clumps.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- While the cake is baking, add the milk, sugar and coconut flavoring in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven. Using a fork, poke holes all over the entire cake. Don't be stingy with the holes! Pour the mixture all over the cake.
- Let cake cool.
- Mix shredded coconut and cool whip together. Use as icing for the cake. Put top on cake pan and refrigerate till ready to eat!