Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted in response to a request. I rec'd this recipe from my aunt in 1971. Prep times are estimates; I don't recall how long it takes to chill the Jello "til thickened."
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup evaporated milk, chilled
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup boiling water
- Dissolve jellow in boiling water; add vinegar; chill til thickened.
- Whip evaporated milk; fold into thickened jello together with remaining ingredients.
- Turn into buttered 8 cup mold and chill til firm.
I was raised on this salad. My Mom mashed the cottage cheese and I blend with blender a little. Sometimes I substitute chopped jicama for the nuts. I serve in a pyrex glass dish and cut in squares. It is very very good, refreshing taste. Good memories too.