1/2 Photos of Aunt Helen's Almond-Raspberry Rice Squares
Jenny Sanders's Note:
An old family favourite! They were sure to show up on the platters of cookies and squares put out by my great-aunts at Christmas, and I always made a bee-line for them. Now I can make them myself. For the pastry, try half a recipe of Marie's French Pie Pastry. (French Pie Pastry)I have made them gluten-free, by using brown rice flour in the pastry, and white rice flour in the topping, which worked out very well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Line a 9" square pan with the pastry. (Not up the sides- just the bottom.) You may wish to line the bottom of the tin with parchment paper first.
- 3Spread the jam over the pastry.
- 4Cream the butter and sugar.
- 5Beat in the eggs and almond extract.
- 6Mix in the salt and rice flour.
- 7Scrape the batter over the jam, and spread it out carefully and evenly.
- 8Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- 9Let cool.
- 10Cream the remaining butter, and beat in the icing sugar and almond extract.
- 11Thin with a little milk until a good spreading consistency is reached; about a tablespoon or so should do it.
- 12Spread the icing over the squares, then cut them and remove them from the pan.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Helen's Almond-Raspberry Rice Squares
Serving Size: 1 (983 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.2
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 61.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: