An old family favourite! They were sure to show up on the platters of cookies and squares put out by my great-aunts at Christmas, and I always made a bee-line for them. Now I can make them myself. For the pastry, try half a recipe of Marie's French Pie Pastry. (French Pie Pastry)I have made them gluten-free, by using brown rice flour in the pastry, and white rice flour in the topping, which worked out very well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9" square pan with the pastry. (Not up the sides- just the bottom.) You may wish to line the bottom of the tin with parchment paper first.
- Spread the jam over the pastry.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and almond extract.
- Mix in the salt and rice flour.
- Scrape the batter over the jam, and spread it out carefully and evenly.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cream the remaining butter, and beat in the icing sugar and almond extract.
- Thin with a little milk until a good spreading consistency is reached; about a tablespoon or so should do it.
- Spread the icing over the squares, then cut them and remove them from the pan.