Recipe by brittmarie
This is a family favorite. No one makes a rum cake like Aunt Grace (except other people who have this recipe).
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (moist recipe)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans (Aunt Grace does not add these) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour (or Pam) bundt cake pan.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans around bottom of pan.
- Whisk together cake and pudding mix.
- Add liquid and eggs; beat with electric mixer on medium for 4 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Cool approximately 10 minutes; invert onto plate and prick all over with toothpick.
- Pour glaze over top and let sit for at least one hour (longer is better).
- Mix together water, sugar and butter in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; boil over medium for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mixture will become thick and begin to pull away from saucepan.
- Add rum--keep face away from saucepan to avoid alcohol cloud that will form.
- Stir vigorously and remove from heat; pour over cake.