Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm collecting family recipes for a family reunion cookbook. Aunt Flo was a diabetic and this recipe was given to me by her daughter Carolee from KC, MO. This recipe calls for Sugar Twin brown sugar but I prefer Splenda brand brown sugar (which does have some real brown sugar in it). I'm not sure of the amount to use for this recipe. I don't have Sugar Twin to see what a 1/2 cup equals in regular brown sugar. You need that amount to then see what to use for Splenda's equivalent. I hope you understand what I mean!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce (Hunts brand)
- 1⁄2 cup brown Sugar Twin
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded well
- Mix the tomato sauce, brown sugar substitute and lemon juice in a large pot over medium heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile season the meat with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder if you like and roll into meatballs.
- Drop the balls into the simmering sauce and also add the cabbage and cover it with the sauce let this simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Tranfser this mix into a large enough baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 hour.