Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a classic family recipe that we use as either a "make into balls and squish them" recipe or a roll out and get out the fancy cookie cutters recipe.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- Cream the butter and vanilla together.
- Add in and mix the cornstarch to the butter mixture.
- Add the icing sugar to the butter/cornstarch mixture.
- Beat well until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the flour and beat well until combined and fluffy.
- Make into two balls of dough to work with, if you are going to use cookie cutters.
- Roll to 1/4 inch thick, or make into small balls to press with a fork or small cookie press.
- Bake at 325 degrees F, for 20-25minutes (reduce time if small cookies).
Oh, boy, are these good?! I made only half the recipe and got exactly 18 cookies (about 2" size). It took about 15 minutes to bake and I lowered to 300 5 minutes before they were done. (Might be my oven.) I was afraid they would stick to my hands, so I used a spoon to scoop them to the cookie pan. I decided to try one and easily rolled it by hand. Not sure I'd be able to roll them though... Thanks for sharing your family recipe, Chef Burnt Toast! ;-)
I added a 1/2 c. of mini chocolate chips. This has now replaced my old recipe of 40 years.