Recipe by the_cookie_lady
From Jo Ann Shirley's 1978 Cakes and Cookies cookbook. These are a pinwheel type cookie that has a sugar-cinnamon-walnut mixture rolled with a sugar dough. The dough does need to be chilled before rolling, but that chilling time has not been factored into the prep time. And I don't know how long they should be baked so let us all know if you try it!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb chopped walnuts (small pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- cream, enough to make a paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add beaten egg yolks and milk and mix to a firm dough. Chill.
- Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Add a little cream to make a paste.
- Roll out dough in a long rectangle that is 1/8” thick. Spread walnut mixture over dough and roll up, starting with the long side. Cut into ¼” thick slices. Put onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake @ 375 degrees until golden brown.