Aunt Fanny's restaurant was located in Smyrna, Georgia. This was one of the famous side dishes they served with their good old-fashion cooking. The restaurant is now closed but their squash casserole lives on. Time does not include cooking squash and onion to use in casserole
- Wash and cut up squash and roughly chop the onion. Boil until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain VERY thoroughly, then mash.
- Add all ingredients except half of butter and crumbs, to squash. Melt remaining butter.
- Pour mixture in baking dish, then spread melted butter over top and sprinkle with cracker meal or bread crumbs.
- Bake in 375°F oven for approximately 30 to 45minutes, or until brown on top.
- You might add a few sprinkles of nutmeg to the mixture before pouring into the casserole.