Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My husband's aunt worked as a personal chef for many years. She was one of those incredible people who never measured anything, everything had become second nature. I convinced her to measure everything when she baked a batch--and I was lucky to get a written copy of this before she passed away. They are the most delicious soft sugar cookies I have ever had. :o)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add salt and eggs and mix well.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and sour cream and mix well.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and cut cookies out in whatever shape you wish. Transfer cookies to a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Cool on a wire rack.