Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Aunt Dot is one of those "lifetime cooks" who turns out brilliant, tasty food with seemingly little effort. This easy chowder is one of her best. My brother insists that I serve it every Thanksgiving. A nice appetizer or side dish. Enjoy!
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cream-style corn
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In 2 cups of salted water, simmer the carrots, potatoes, celery and onions until they are tender (about 10 minutes).
- In another pan, make a cream sauce with the flour, melted margarine and milk. Add shredded cheese and stir over low heat until melted.
- Combine the sauce with the UNDRAINED vegetables and the creamed corn. Heat but do not boil. (Boiling causes the dairy products to separate and clump).
- Serve immediately.