Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adopted this recipe during the Recipezaar Adoption, so I have not idea who Aunt Cora is, but she's got to be one great lady!!! I made these biscuits using Sourdough Starter # 67075 by KimmieOH and they are simply wonderful. I did use the butter flavor shortening and instead of letting them rise over hot water, I just sat them on top of the stove while the cake that was in the oven baked. They rose beautifully. Other than that, I made them exactly as directed.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, Sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda (More Baking Soda may be added if the starter if very sour.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, Melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sourdough starter
- Place flour in bowl, add starter in a well, then add melted shortening and dry ingredients.
- Mix lightly and turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until the consistency of bread dough, or of a satiny finish.
- Pat or roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cut and put on a greased pan.
- Coat all sides of biscuits with melted butter.
- Let rise over boiling water for 1/2 hour.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.