Recipe by Chef Mom0'3
Posting here for posterity, my dear sisters recipe for barbeques. She used to make these for every family picnic. Very easy to make, and serves a crowd! You can easily adapt this to cook in a crock pot as you don't have to brown the meat.
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 small green pepper, very finely chopped
- 3 lbs ground beef (85% lean- do not use very lean ground meat for this)
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (the secret ingredient, ssh- don't tell)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (recommended-heinz)
- 1 (18 ounce) bottlehickory flavored barbecue sauce (recommended Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory-brown sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peppers, onions and meats into a large pot. Stir vigorously to mix together. Do NOT brown the meat!
- Add the sauces.
- Turn the stove on at this point to medium heat. Cook the raw meats and veggies in the sauces for about 15 minutes until the meats begin to break up and cook.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low, cover, and continue cooking for about an hour, stirring frequently to break up the meats.
- Taste for seasoning and add the brown sugar if you like your barbeque sweeter. Continue cooking and stirring for another hour, until flavors are melded.
- Leave cover off for the last 15 minutes to thicken the bbq. Serve on hamburger buns.