- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons anise extract or 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise extract, to taste
- 4 tablespoons water (aproximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the sugar and crisco.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add Anise (or lemon) extract, salt, baking powder and milk.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at-a-time and mix together.
- Grease a cookie sheet and, using a large soup spoon, make a line of dough.
- Smooth dough to connect each mound to make one loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees till lightly browned.
- Approximately 15 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Frosting should not be thin, nor thick, but an oozing consistency.