1 hr 30 mins
red and white kitchen's Note:
Korean noodle with beef and spinach dish. Aunt Claire made this for large family gatherings (recipe times 4), add mixed it in 5 gallon buckets. She got this recipe from her sister in law Kim from Korea. Aunt Claire served this with Pul Gol Gi (grilled marinated sirloin beef -recipe also posted) The family looked foward to these events. Thanks Claire for the recipes and memories! We are keeping your traditions alive.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh spinach
- 8 carrots, finely shreaded
- 2 large onions
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs sirloin tip beef
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 (12 ounce) packages korean vermicelle sweet potato starch noodles (Hanmi brand available on the internet www.koamart.com item # 2187 green package)
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Blanch spinach in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain. When cool squeeze out excess water,set aside.
- 2In large dutch oven fill 3/4 full with water. Bring to boil, remove from heat. Add Korean vermicelle to water and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain and rince with cold water. Cut into about 4 inch long pieces.
- 3Cut onions into 1/8 wedges, separate pieces.
- 4Slice sirloin tip into strips 2 inches long 1/4 inch thick (partially freeze to make slicing easier).
- 5Mix soy sauce, pepper,sesame seeds, sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic powder. set aside.
- 6In large wok or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil (adding more as needed when stir frying) over high heat.
- 7Stir fry each ingredient seperately- carrots,mushrooms,onions and beef .Add all into very large bowl after stir frying.
- 8Add vermicielle and spinach to bowl with stir fry ingredients.
- 9Pour soy sauce mixture over and mix well.
- 10Serve at room temperature.
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Claire's Chop Chae (Jop Chae)
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.2
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 2162.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 34.3 g