1/1 Photo of Aunt Carrie's Indian Pudding
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
"Rich, subtly spiced with cinnamon and ginger, and sweet with molasses, this dessert is a version of the pudding that has been served at the venerable Rhode Island clam shack Aunt Carrie's since it opened, in the 1920s." - Saveur
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Grease an 8" × 8" baking dish; set aside.
- 2Put 2 cups of the milk and 2 cups hot water into a medium pot and bring just to a boil. Slowly pour in cornmeal while whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until very thick, 12-14 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and whisk in remaining butter. Set cornmeal mixture aside.
- 4Whisk together molasses, flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and egg in a large bowl. Pour molasses mixture into cornmeal mixture while whisking constantly. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish; pour remaining milk evenly over batter.
- 5Bake, rotating once, until pudding is set but still soft and a skin has formed over the top, about 1 hour. (If pudding gets too dark while baking, tent with foil.).
- 6Set pudding aside to let cool to room temperature. Spoon pudding into bowls and top with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Carrie's Indian Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 63.3 mg
- Sodium 543.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g