Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my favorite item on the thanksgiving table. It is tangy, sweet, crunchy and all around yummy. I find myself often searching for this recipe, so have put it here for safe keeping. This is best if you make it the day before which is great to get one thing out of the way before the big cooking day.
- 6 ounces red Jell-O (strawberry, raspberry, cranberry)
- 1 small orange, un peeled (preferably organic)
- 2 cups apples, approx. 2 medium (diced)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (pecans also ok)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice (refrigerated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, cold
- 4 cups raw cranberries (about 1 bag if you find a fresh one)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I only add 1/3 a cup)
- Dissolve Jello in boiling water.
- Add pineapple and the cold water.
- Chill until thickened (optional, but recommended).
- Cut orange into wedges and remove seeds. The orange peel adds a nice tang, but if you want to cut back on the tang, then you can peel some of the orange, but the peel makes it good.
- Put orange and cranberries through food processor and pulse as you would cole slaw -- don't puree. May take several batches. I do about a cup of cranberries and a wedge of orange per batch in my VitaMix blender. Pour results into a large bowl.
- Mix in diced apples and sugar and chopped nuts.
- Fold in thickened jello.
- Pour into a mold or just a bowl and chill for a few hours. (I've never used a mold and tried to turn it out myself, I just pour directly into a nice looking serving bowl.
- This is best if you make it the day before.