Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Aunt Bo is the sauce maven in our family! Every time someone's gonna make a special cake or bring some homemade ice cream at a family potluck, Aunt Bo's right there with a big bottle of her special sauce. I don't know why she calls this one comfort sauce but she insisted I do too if I was gonna post it on the internets!
- 2 lbs strawberries (stems removed, of course)
- 4 ounces citrus-infused vodka (regular vodka is fine)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- In a small saucepan, combine the vodka, sugar, strawberries, and vanilla bean in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Please note: If you are using vanilla extract instead of a vanilla bean, then reserve this ingredient until the end.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will begin to break down. If you are using the vanilla extract, you would add it about now, right before the syrup begins to thicken.
- When it becomes a thick syrup, remove from heat and allow to cool before serving. It can be served warm, but I don't recommend serving it straight from the stove unless it's over ice cream.
- Optional: Aunt Bo always uses fresh strawberries but you could get away with using frozen strawberries or any other berry you enjoy, fresh or frozen. I have done this with frozen mixed berries, blackberries, and cherries with equally delicious results.