Recipe by Happy Harry #2
I've been making lentils and rice, Indian style for a long time. My cousin reminded me of his Moms style...here it is. Don't be put off by the time..half of it is for soaking the lentils.
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 3 lbs chuck
- 3 white onions, diced
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (my Aunt used chicken fat)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak lentils in cold water for 11/2 hours. Drain and check for anything that needs to be removed.
- Cut the meat into bite-size chunks.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and when oil begins to sizzle, add meat.
- Brown meat in portions so not to lower pan heat.
- As meat is browning add onions to brown.
- Add lentils, seasoning and boiling water to meat. Cover and let simmer about 11/2 hours.
- Stir in the rice and cover pot and cook another 25 minutes.
- I usually soak the lentils in the morning, drain, cover, and set aside until needed.