Happy Harry #2's Note:
I've been making lentils and rice, Indian style for a long time. My cousin reminded me of his Moms style...here it is. Don't be put off by the time..half of it is for soaking the lentils.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak lentils in cold water for 11/2 hours. Drain and check for anything that needs to be removed.
- 2Cut the meat into bite-size chunks.
- 3Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and when oil begins to sizzle, add meat.
- 4Brown meat in portions so not to lower pan heat.
- 5As meat is browning add onions to brown.
- 6Add lentils, seasoning and boiling water to meat. Cover and let simmer about 11/2 hours.
- 7Stir in the rice and cover pot and cook another 25 minutes.
- 8I usually soak the lentils in the morning, drain, cover, and set aside until needed.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Beck's Lentils and Rice Stew
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.2
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 783.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: