Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from my Aunt Barbra in Texas. I have made some minor adjustments to the recipe. The original recipe called for 1 cup of butter, I use 1/4 cup or feel free to use olive oil instead. A combination of the 2 will also work. You can control the heat of this dish by using either mild or spicy diced tomatoes.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs medium-sized shrimp, uncooked and shelled
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, do not drain
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of shrimp soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- serve over hot cooked angel hair pasta
- Melt butter in dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion, celery, green onion and garlic in skillet until transparent.
- Add shrimp, saute 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot angel hair pasta.
- The prep/cook time is a rough estimate and will vary on your shrimp and how much cleaning/thawing is required. Also not included is the angel hair pasta.
This recipe is absolutely awesome! : ) It is sooo easy to make, but tastes and looks like you spent hours on it. I made a few changes -- left out the regular onions and only used green onions, left out the celery (just our preference), I used fresh sauteed mushrooms and we used large shrimp. Will be making this dish often and I'm adding it my Best of 2014 Cookbook as well. Made for Spring PAC, May, 2014.