1/3 Photos of Aunt Alta's Crazy Crust Pizza
1 hr 15 mins
Aunt Alta really loved pizza. I found this recipe tucked into her collection, which she had clipped out of a Pillsbury ad. The crust is not traditional at all...it is very thin and will not taste like a typical risen pizza crust. She made this for me when I visited her as a young teen. She used the round pizza plate, I only have a jelly roll pan. Note:You may replace the sauce ingredients with 1- 1 1/2 cups of prepared pizza sauce, if desired. My Aunt's original version was quite mild and contained no garlic, but I like lots of garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup skim milk
Sauce (make extra if you prefer more sauce)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (plain)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dreid red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, cooked and drained or 1 cup pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, drained (optional)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 ounces in weight)
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Have ready a 12-14" round pizza pan with a rim (or use a 10x15" jelly roll pan), lightly greased with olive oil.
- 3Combine flour, salt, oregano, pepper, eggs, and mikl until smooth.
- 4Pour crust batter into the pan, tilting the pan to coat evenly; you want the entire bottom covered and it will appear to be very very low and thin.
- 5Sprinkle cooked sausage (or pepperoni slices) all over the batter, then do the same with the garlic,onions,green peppers, and mushrooms if using, but DO NOT ADD SAUCE OR CHEESE YET.
- 6Bake on a low rack in preheated 425 F oven for 25-30 minutes until deep golden brown (to give it a crispy crust).
- 7Meanwhile mix together the sauce ingredients.
- 8When pizza is ready, drizzle the sauce over the pizza as evenly as you can and sprinkle cheese over the top, bearing in mind that if you add extra sauce/cheese the pizza will not be as crispy.
- 9Bake another 10-15 minutes or until sauce is heated through and cheese has melted.
- 10Cut into squares and serve, this is going to have a very thin crust and depending on how many toppings you added, might be a bit floppy so have a fork handy (my aunt always ate pizza with a fork).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Alta's Crazy Crust Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.2
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 128.9 mg
- Sodium 1754.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 24.4 g