Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Aunt Alta really loved pizza. I found this recipe tucked into her collection, which she had clipped out of a Pillsbury ad. The crust is not traditional at all...it is very thin and will not taste like a typical risen pizza crust. She made this for me when I visited her as a young teen. She used the round pizza plate, I only have a jelly roll pan. Note:You may replace the sauce ingredients with 1- 1 1/2 cups of prepared pizza sauce, if desired. My Aunt's original version was quite mild and contained no garlic, but I like lots of garlic.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
Sauce (make extra if you prefer more sauce)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (plain)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dreid red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, cooked and drained or 1 cup pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced, drained (optional)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 ounces in weight)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Have ready a 12-14" round pizza pan with a rim (or use a 10x15" jelly roll pan), lightly greased with olive oil.
- Combine flour, salt, oregano, pepper, eggs, and mikl until smooth.
- Pour crust batter into the pan, tilting the pan to coat evenly; you want the entire bottom covered and it will appear to be very very low and thin.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage (or pepperoni slices) all over the batter, then do the same with the garlic,onions,green peppers, and mushrooms if using, but DO NOT ADD SAUCE OR CHEESE YET.
- Bake on a low rack in preheated 425 F oven for 25-30 minutes until deep golden brown (to give it a crispy crust).
- Meanwhile mix together the sauce ingredients.
- When pizza is ready, drizzle the sauce over the pizza as evenly as you can and sprinkle cheese over the top, bearing in mind that if you add extra sauce/cheese the pizza will not be as crispy.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes or until sauce is heated through and cheese has melted.
- Cut into squares and serve, this is going to have a very thin crust and depending on how many toppings you added, might be a bit floppy so have a fork handy (my aunt always ate pizza with a fork).
I use to make this all the time when the kids were little. I lost the recipe a while ago, so I was very happy to stumble on it here. I used turkey pepperoni, orange pepper, mushrooms and pineapple for a delicious pizza. Thanks for posting. :)
This is really good. I subbed Whole Wheat flour and I cooked meats and veggies beforehand and heated in micro before adding to the crust. I think for a bit thinner crust next time, I will add a little more milk and bake about 15-20 minutes before adding sauce and toppings (personal preference only). But this is still a really good recipe. Will definitely use again! Thanks so much for sharing!
This was really nice--I like a thin crust and the ease of preparation was great! I used sausage, pepperoni, onions and black and green olives. We'll definitely have this again, thanks for a nice change from takeout pizza!