1/6 Photos of Auld Alliance: Potted French Blue Cheese and Scotch Whisky Pate
French Tart's Note:
The Auld Alliance is the historic friendship between Scotland and France, as well as a traditional cheese and whisky recipe. Here is a modern version of my Scottish grandmother's recipe for Auld Alliance. I have used Scotch whisky and a lighter French blue cheese, Fourme d'Ambert, instead of the usual Roquefort, which I find very salty. This makes a fabulous appetiser or an alternative cheese course. Choose a blue cheese and Scotch whisky of your choice; blends are better than malts in this recipe. A Potted History! Scotland’s most famous connection with Europe was the Auld Alliance with France. First agreed in 1295/6 the Auld Alliance was built on Scotland and France’s shared need to curtail English expansion. Primarily it was a military and diplomatic alliance but for most of the population, it brought tangible benefits through pay as mercenaries in France’s armies and the pick of finest French wines! The preparation time includes the chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the blue cheese to a pestle and mortar or a large bowl and pound to a smooth paste.
- 2Now add the whisky drop by drop, and stir into the creamed blue cheese.
- 3Continue adding whisky for as long as it is still incorporated into the cheese (or as much as the blue cheese can drink!) and it makes a firm cream.
- 4Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste and pack into ramekins.
- 5Chill well before serving and serve either as an unusual pâté for a starter or as a savoury dish to end a meal.
- 6Serve with toast, crackers, water biscuits or oatcakes, and fresh watercress.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Auld Alliance: Potted French Blue Cheese and Scotch Whisky Pate
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.6
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 56.0 mg
- Sodium 845.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 17.2 g