Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful comfort food, so delicious that everyone will want the recipe and you won't believe that you made something so tasty.....it's even better the next day. The recipe is so versatile, you can substitute different ingredients - spinach/escarole or even kale. Orzo/rice. Beef/Pork/Chicken for the meatballs! Or, a combination of meat.... I used 4 pork chops that I ground in the food processor
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 carrot, chopped smal
- 2 celery ribs, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 5 cups spinach, raw and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese
- For Broth:.
- In a heavy, large soup pot combine the onion, carrot, celery and 2 T. olive oil- Cook until tender. Add the chicken broth, parsley, and Orzo. Cook for 10 minutes, or until Orzo is tender.
- Combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, minced onion, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and egg. Mix completely and form into little balls - place on parchment paper (I used a small ice cream scoop to make the little meatballs). At this point you could add them to the boiling soup. My daughter wanted to brown them in 2 T. of olive oil, and then add them to the soup.
- Add spinach and cook another 5-10 minutes. Top each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- The Parmesan cheese will give the soup some salt, so don't over season your soup.