Recipe by Mary Scheffert
I got this recipe from my best friend - they were her favorites growing up, and still are. These are posted in honor & loving memory of her mother.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening& sugars; add eggs& vanilla, beat well.
- Add dry ingredients, oats& nuts, mixing well.
- Form dough into 3 squared-off logs, wrap in aluminum foil& chill well (about 2 hours).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut dough into 1/4" slices, place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets& bake 15 minutes.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- **NOTE:Prep time includes chill time!
- Store cookies in an airtight container to keep crisp.