Recipe by carrie sheridan
from her son Sean's memoir: Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit
Top Review by Katherain S.
This is a great recipe. Don't try to substitute like using the cheeses in the bottle as opposed to the real thing and anything except fresh garlic. The sauce has an extremely delicate taste and the fresh ingredients and grated cheese just add a little zip to it. I was really surprised that the sauce could be so flavorful without adding meat. The sauce just doesn't need it. Thank you so much for a recipe that doesn't taste like the traditional spaghetti sauce. It's a real winner!
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cansof prepeeled roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil, washed
- 2 -4 ounces virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) box spaghetti noodles
- 4 -8 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice the small onion, garlic, carrots, celery and put into a large pot.
- Add 2 large cans of Italian pelati [prepeeled roma tomatoes].
- Add 1/2 of the bunch of basil with leaves left whole.
- Add a long drizzle of olive oil.
- Simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it rest at least 15 minutes.
- Cook one package of spaghetti noodles [or angel hair] until al dente [with still a bit of a snap at the core].
- Place pasta on large serving bowl or plate.
- Pour sauce over.
- Cut carefully the other 1/2 of basil and sprinkle over the sauce and pasta with lots of freshly grated parmagiana reggiano cheese.