from her son Sean's memoir: Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit
Make and share this Audrey Hepburn's Favorite Spaghetti Al Pomodoro recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and dice the small onion, garlic, carrots, celery and put into a large pot.
- Add 2 large cans of Italian pelati [prepeeled roma tomatoes].
- Add 1/2 of the bunch of basil with leaves left whole.
- Add a long drizzle of olive oil.
- Simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let it rest at least 15 minutes.
- Cook one package of spaghetti noodles [or angel hair] until al dente [with still a bit of a snap at the core].
- Place pasta on large serving bowl or plate.
- Pour sauce over.
- Cut carefully the other 1/2 of basil and sprinkle over the sauce and pasta with lots of freshly grated parmagiana reggiano cheese.