Recipe by Brian Holley
An Indian favourite, served in the tandoori restaurants, second only to Ladies Fingers. I have added the use of green pimento and potato to make a more substantial dish. You could cook this just using the aubergines. We had this a few hours ago with chicken in whole spices, sagwalla dhall and rice. Superb.
- 1 lb aubergine, cubed
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large green pimiento, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 ounces ghee or 4 ounces butter
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled up
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 chicken stock cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 4 tomatoes, quatered
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the ghee in a pan and fry the onion till just golden 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli powder, bay leaf, cinnamon, salt and black pepper cook for 1 minute.
- Add the water and bring to the boil cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and potato,pimento and the aubergines, stir in the tomato puree.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat till the potato is cooked.
- Serve with any meat curry and boiled rice.