Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 -4 aubergines
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small grated onion
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- black olives (garnish)
- green pepper (garnish)
- Wash aubergines, place in baking pan and bake in moderate oven (about 350°F) for about one hour or until soft.
- Allow the skin to turn black so as to give a smoky flavour to the salad.
- Skin aubergines while still hot and chop in small pieces.
- Mix with onion, garlic, tomatoes, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with olives and pepper rings.
- Serve with roast meat, and grilled or fried fish or as appetizer.
- Serves six.
This tasted absolutely fantastic! It has a perfect Lebanese flavor that would pair with many middle eastern and mediterranean foods. I served this with Elmotoo's (Za'atar Tomatoes) . Along with an entree, these two sides will wrap up a meal. Definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing. ~Sue
WOW!! Delicious! I used 2 cloves of garlic and 1 large tomato. I also baked the onion (cut in half) with the eggplant ( also cut in half) face down on the baking sheet (covered in parchment). This speeded up the baking time and also broiled the onions nicely. I added a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dish to add a little spice. FANTASTIC!!!