Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Aubergine is such an elegant word compared to eggplant, and this is an elegant little recipe from the Vegetarian Society.
- 1 little olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into rings
- 2 beef tomatoes, skinned and cut into rings
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely chopped
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh sage, chopped
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 -5 fresh chives, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 4 slices halloumi cheese
- 1 lemon, zest of, to garnish
- chives or chive blossoms, to garnish
Tomato confetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225 g fresh ripe full-flavoured tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
- 150 ml vegetarian white wine
- 1 yellow peppers or 1 red pepper, roasted, skin removed and cut into strips, then across into diamonds
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- First make the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a suacepan and fry the onion gently with the garlic.
- Add half of the chopped tomatoes and the white wine and cook for five minutes.
- Blend unfit smooth.
- Mix in the rest of the chopped tomatoes with the pepper pieces and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Season to taste.
- Brush the griddle with olive oil and cook the eggplant slices so that they are seared with stripes.
- Put on one side and keep warm.
- Grill the beef tomato slices gently.
- Mix the lemon and herbs together and season well.
- On individual serving plates, layer the eggplant, tomato and herb mix.
- Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar.
- Repeat until all the layers are used up and top with a slice of tomato and a sprinkling of the herb mixture.
- Grill the slices of Halloumi and arrange on top of each stack, garnished with lemon zest and chives.
- Drizzle tomato confetti sauce around the plate and decorate with chives or chive flowers.
- Serve warm.