Recipe by FionaPap
The title is a translation from the Greek name called PAPOUTSAKIA, which mean "little shoes". Very tasty and not really that messy to make.
- 3 large round aubergines
- 3 large ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1 dry onion, grated
- chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lbs firm cheese (not too spicy)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash aubergines and slice each one lengthwise. Each slice should be approx the thickness of your forefinger. Salt each side of every slice and place on a platter, setting them aside to "sweat".
- Peel and chop the tomoatoes. Place in a pan along with grated onion, chopped parsley, a little olive oil, salt, pepper and let to cook over low heat until sauce thickens.
- Add a little olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry each slice until tender but not too soft. Should have a light golden brown color.
- Place each slice side by side in a deep baking tray which has been slightly greased.
- Cut cheese into slices and place 1 or 2 slices, depending on how thick you have sliced it over each aubergine slice.
- Add 2 tbsp of sauce over the cheese and bake at 350 degrees for approx 1/2 hours.
- For something different, omit the cheese slices and add 1 big spoonfull of Bechamel sauce, topping it off with a little grated cheese.