Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Japanese aubergines come in a variety of shapes and sizes. However they are much smaller than the ones we commonly come across in Europe and the USA. Try to find for 10cm long aubergines. Credit goes to Chizuko Moriyama for this recipe.
- 450 g aubergines
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sake
- 225 ml rapeseed oil (for frying)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted and ground sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the aubergine into bite size pieces and soak in a bowl of water for 5 minutes Remove and wipe excess water with kitchen towel.
- Blend the mirin, miso, sugar and sake. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan over a medium heat until it reaches 180 degrees. (If you don't have a thermometer test using a cube of fried bread, if it rises and turns golden immediately when dropped in the oil is ready).
- carefully put the aubergine in skin side up, fry on all sides until the flesh is soft. Transfer to a double layer of kitchen paper to drain.
- pour out the oil and in the remaining residue stir fry the pepper for 2 mins add the aubergines and miso mixture and toss gently to coat. serve and garnish with the sesame seeds and oil.