Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Try to get Japanese aubergines for this as they work really well
Make and share this Aubergine (Eggplant) Curry With Lemongrass & Coconut Milk recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 600 g aubergines, quartered lengthways, then halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 400 ml vegetable stock or 400 ml water
- Using a food processor, pulse the chilies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass to a coarse paste; set aside.
- Mix the turmeric and chili powder together and rub it all over the aubergine wedges.
- Heat the olive oil in frying pan,.
- brown the aubergines; remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the paste, sugar and shallots for a few mins, then return the aubergines to the pan.
- Add the fish sauce, coconut milk and stock or water, mix well,.
- bring the liquid to the boil; reduce the heat and cook gently until the aubergine is tender, but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste and sprinkle the coriander over the top.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or bread to mop up all the juices.
A delicious dish! I made only half, wish I had made all of it. I did need much more of the turmeric/chili mix for the eggplant, and quite a bit more oil to saute the eggplant. I also mistakenly put the shallots in to make the paste, so added another one later on. Lovely over rice!