Recipe by Brian Holley
Here is an English curry recipe, instead of using lots of spices the heat is given by the use of mustard powder. This makes a wonderful accompaniment to any curry.
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 lb aubergine, cut into 1-inch strips
- 12 ounces tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ounces creamed coconut
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 fluid ounces milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the aubergine strips till light brown in colour and remove from the pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and green pepper to the pan and fry for 3 minutes stirring all the time.
- Now add the coconut cream, lemon juice, turmeric and mustard powder; stir.
- Add the cooked aubergines, tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and the milk, bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.