Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A popular Indian dish in the tandoori style. The fusion of the tomatoes with the aubergine is super. It goes well with a meat curry. We have this every week when we eat curries. This recipe was given to me by Mr Abdulla, who lived in the north of India. With very few steps in the cooking this is an easy dish to make.
- 1 lb aubergine, cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 ounces ghee
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, broked into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb firm tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- Melt thr ghee in a heavy pan and fry the onions till just golden.
- Add all of the spices and the water, bring to the boil stiring all the time.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergines and the tomato puree and cook till the aubergine is just tender, do not over cook.
- Serve with any curry and rice.