Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty, spicy stew full of goodness. Delicious!
Make and share this Aubergine (Eggplant), Courgette and Chickpea Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 aubergines
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 courgettes, chopped
- 1 (400 ml) can chickpeas, drained
- 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 500 ml stock
- salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- Cut the top off and wash the aubergines. Prick them with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes each.
- Fry the onions, garlic and chili in the oil for a few minutes.
- Add the spices and continue to fry.
- Add the courgettes and chickpeas.
- Chop the baked aubergine and add.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock and season as required.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, rice, bulghar wheat--whatever you want and enjoy!
YUM - wasn't sure about the cinnamon in there, but it really works Try blending it all up (or whatever is left over) for a think soupy type stew - and a whole new and delicous meal!
This was excellent! Had it with bulgur wheat which I soaked in boiling water for 15 mins & then threw into the pot, stirred everything together and dished up! Delicious recipe - to be made again! Thanks Bunny!
When I had a vegetarian visitor I looked for a recipe to try and found this one. It is absolutely fantastic. I live in southern Spain and aubergines and courgettes are plentiful at the moment, chickpeas are always available for use so I had no problem with all the ingredients. I have used this recipe several times now as a starter (appetiser) for a three course meal, using fish, chicken or pork to follow on with. It has been so popular with my friends I have put them onto Recipezaar to get the details. I served the stew with my homemade wholemeal bread. Thanks for this recipe.