Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The Italian diet is rich in vegetarian dishes, possibly because the quality and range of their vegetables is amazing. This looks pretty special once made up and can be made ahead and reheated for a dinner party or just leftovers!
- 1 medium aubergine, thinly sliced
- 900 g ripe tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, torn
- 2 tablespoons strong white flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, plus extra
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- 350 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Sprinkle aubergine with salt ans place in a colander. Weigh down with a heavy dish and leave for 30 minutes.
- Place the toms in a bowl and cover with boiling water for one minute. Then plunge in cold water to allow you to peel off the skins.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan and cook the garlic until coloured. Add onion and gently cook until softened. Add tomatoes and sugar.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered. Season if desired and add 1/2 the basil.
- Rinse aubergine and pat dry. dredge in the flour and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add the parmesan.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Dip the aubergine in the egg mix and fry until golden on both sides. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 190°C/375°F.
- In a 20cm springform tin begin arranging the dish.
- Layer of aubergines first.
- Layer of tomato sauce and basil.
- Layer of mozzarella.
- Layer of sauce and basil.
- Layer of aubergine.
- Sprinkle over more parmesan if desired and bake for 25 minutes.