Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Well it sounds better than saying Honey, we are having eggplant and spinach tonight.
Make and share this Aubergine (Eggplant) and Spinach Terrine recipe from Food.com.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leave (leaves only)
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thin sliced
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, for vegan omit see note
- grated fresh nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 roasted red pepper, skinned and chopped
- balsamic vinegar
- Vegan: use water or broth or oil.
- Preheat oven to 375F Cover one end of 4 2 1/2 inch metal muffin rings with plastic wrap to seal.
- Slice the eggplant into four equal rounds. Heat half the oil in in a fry pan and cook the eggplant on both sides until brown. Place themn on a cooking sheet and cook in oven for 10 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Heat half the remaining oil and cook the zucchini for two minutes then drain on paper towel. Season with salt,pepper and thyme.
- In the rest of the oil in a heavy frying pan put the tomatoes and basil and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cook the spinach, garlic and butter in a pan allowing water to evaporate. Drain and add nutmeg then season with salt and pepper. Note if making it Vegan you can simply use a bit of water or broth in place of the butter. You want them wilted not "mushed".
- Line the base and sides of muffin tins with spinach leaves leaving no gaps. Place the zucchini around the edges of each ring and overlap them slightly. Divide and place tomato mixture in center. Press it down well. Place eggplant on top, trim edges to fit.
- Seal top with clear plastic and pierce the base to allow liquid to escape. Chill overnight Remove the rings and serve with roastged pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.